Scott Bridge Company, Inc.'s roots date back to 1933 when Mr. I. J. Scott (Jud) and two partners formed Scott Construction Company in Thomasville, Georgia, constructing many highways, airports, bridges, and dams in the Southeast. Mr. Scott left this firm in 1957 and formed his own company, The Scott Company, in Opelika, Alabama, his home. The Scott Company incorporated in 1965 as Scott Bridge Company with I. J. Scott and his son, I. J. Scott, Jr. Also in 1965 Mr. Gerard Swarthout came to the company, became company president, and retired in 1987.
Scott Bridge Company has been a member of the Alabama Road Builders since 1947, and became known as a river bridge contractor, completing many projects on the Warrior, Alabama, Coosa, Tennessee, and Chattahoochee Rivers.
Currently Mr. I. J. Scott's grandsons, I. J. Scott, III (Ike), President, William Scott, Vice President and David Scott, Board Member, own and continue to further the principles and traditions of their father and grandfather before them.
This position is accountable for providing designated labor support at project or yard locations for the Company. They are responsible for performing a variety of basic physical tasks under the direction of Supervisory, Skilled or Semi-skilled personnel. Typically they work under close supervision of the Foreman and skilled craft workers.
- Works as assigned by the Foreman to ensure the successful completion of ongoing or new construction projects.
- Assists skilled craft workers such as Welders, Piledrivers, Carpenters Concrete Finishers, or other skilled craft workers in performing their assigned duties.
- Digs, spreads and levels dirt and gravel using pick and shovel prior to concrete pours at site locations.
- Lifts, carries and holds building materials, tools and supplies.
- Cleans tools, equipment, materials and work areas.
- Mixes, pours and spreads concrete, asphalt, gravel and other materials using hand tools.
- Performs a variety of routine, non-machine tasks such as removing/ cleaning concrete forms, filling expansion joints, rigging/ sorting/ cleaning jobsite materials, cleaning up project site, and various other non-skilled tasks.
- Spends time working on one job or may be transferred from task to task as project progresses to completion.
- Performs other tasks as may be assigned.
- Participates in Safety and Environmental initiatives that will contribute to compliance of State/Federal regulations.
Prior construction or field experience is preferred but not required. However, the incumbent must:
- Be able to communicate effectively and work well with other employees.
- Be able to understand and follow specific directions from supervision.
- Be able to submit to and successfully complete any specific safety or job training that may be required by the customer, the job and/or the contract with client.
- Have the ability to work with close supervision and be capable of repeating tasks of short duration according to established operating procedures and work practices.
- Be capable of working within standards of accuracy as dictated by the customer.
- Health and Dental Insurance
- 401k Plan
- Profit Sharing
- Group Life Insurance Offered
- Supplemental Insurance and Cafeteria Plans
- Company Sponsored training offered regularly
- Vacation and Sick Pay